TILT TABLE

Use this discussion board to address concerns or to find support from others with the disease.

TILT TABLE

Postby Rach27 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:58 am

Hi all! I have recently been 'diagnosed' with Brugada. My cardiologist has labeled me as high risk, as I have had several fainting spells and the pattern is strong and constant, therefore, she ordered a consultation with the surgeon and urged me to get an ICD soon. Upon visiting him, he agreed that the pattern was certainly there throughout all EKGs but questioned my diagnosis because of its rarity! Personally, I disagreed with him, as I don't believe any doctor should base a diagnosis off of how 'rare' something is, especially considering that Brugada is relatively "new". Well recently, I went into partial cardiac arrest following a seizure (I have often due to a brain injury). Despite this he still urged more testing, specifically the tilt table. So, I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with a tilt table, as he did not provide any info on it.
What is it suppose to find and how?
What is considered a 'positive' test or sign?
What symptoms/characteristics are they specifically looking for?

Thank you so much!
Rach27

Re: TILT TABLE

Postby Chas » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:34 pm

First I have to point out that we are not doctors so any advice and opinions should be checked with you doctor.

Fainting can have many causes, one of which is rapid drop in blood pressure when standing etc. A tilt table test would show whether you are prone to this. If fainting was your only symptom the test could help find the cause. However with your other symptoms ie cardiac arrest and a brugada ecg, I would go back to your cardiologist and look for another surgeon. I'm no doctor but, I know from personal experience, that rarity is no reason to reject a diagnoses. It is however a reason why a doctor may not know enough about a condition, cardiologists are likely to know much more than surgeons.
Chas

Return to Brugada Syndrome Support Group