Brugada syndrome vs Brugada pattern

Use this discussion board to address concerns or to find support from others with the disease.

Brugada syndrome vs Brugada pattern

Postby Lego1 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:37 pm

Hi everyone

My husband was found to have spontaneous type 1 Brugada pattern on a routine ECG for work. He has not been for any further testing and has never had a genetic test. He has refused the genetic test as he is worried it will have implications for his career/ insurance. I was just wondering what the difference is between type 1 Brugada pattern and the syndrome. If he spontaneously showed up with type 1 pattern on ECG does this mean he has the syndrome? He has previously complained of palpitations but no other symptoms. Does having palpitations make you symptomatic? Or could these be unrelated. He is insistent that he only has the pattern and has never been told he has the syndrome. We now have a baby boy and I worry for him. I know I should accept my husband's decision not to have the genetic test for a mutation but I feel so angry and resentful that he won't have this done for the sake of our baby boy. I know the genetic test doesn't always offer answers but it MIGHT do and, for me, that is good enough reason to have it
Lego1

Re: Brugada syndrome vs Brugada pattern

Postby Chas » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:06 pm

HI, First I have to point out that we are not doctors so any advice and opinions should be checked with you doctor.

As well as a coved type 1 brugada ecg response one of the following is required for a diagnoses of BrS

1 documented ventricular fibrillation (VF)
2 polymorphic ventricular tachycardia (VT)
3 a family history of sudden cardiac death at <45 years old
4 coved-type ECGs in family members
5 inducibility of VT with programmed electrical stimulation
6 syncope
7 nocturnal agonal respiration.

Occasional palpitations are quite common and are not a symptom of BrS. If they are frequent it would be worth checking with his doctor, just in case there is something else wrong.
Chas

Return to Brugada Syndrome Support Group