EP study before implant?

Use this discussion board to address concerns or to find support from others with the disease.

EP study before implant?

Postby Callahan13 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:33 pm

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with type one Brugada 4 years ago and my current EP is scheduling a subcutaneous ICD. He has been the third cardiologist to see the brugada sign in the ecg. That being said I do trust him. My first question is this: Wouldn't it be more certain to preform an EP test than to rely on the ecg only? Since i will have this machine with me for the rest of my life..My Second Question is: Does anyone have a S-ICD installed?
Callahan13

Re: EP study before implant?

Postby nexus123 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:04 am

I take it that you are now symptomatic which is why your EP wants to have an ICD implanted?

I have had type 1 Brugada pattern show up on every single ECG I've had (6 in total) yet my EP did not recommend having an ICD implanted as I am currently asymptomatic. As far as I'm aware this in line with the 2013 consensus guidelines.

In saying that though I have never had an EP test done but this is an area of controversy at the moment in regard to treating asymptomatic brugada patients.
nexus123

Return to Brugada Syndrome Support Group